Curriculum vitae of
Finn Aakre Haugen
MSc, PhD in engineering cybernetics
- E-mail address: email@example.com.
- Mobile telephone: +47 97019215.
- Place of residence: Skien, Norway.
- Present positions:
- Professor (Norwegian title: Docent) in 80 % position at Faculty
of Technology, Natural Sciences and Maritime Sciences, University of South-Eastern Norway.
- Professor (Docent) in 20 % position at Oslo Metropolitan University (OsloMet), Norway.
- Engagement at
- Engagement at
Opplæringssenter for yrkesfag i Vestfold-Telemark fylkeskommune.
- Previous positions:
- Consultant (part-time) in mathematical modeling and control at VEAS wastewater treatment
plant, Slemmestad, Norway. 2015 - 2018.
- Research assistant at Norwegian Institute of Technology (Norges
tekniske høgskole - NTH), 1986 - 1991.
Main interests and skills:
- Mathematical modeling
- Simulator development
- Automatic control
- State estimation
- Signal processing
- Biological processes, in particular anaerobic digestion for
- Programming in Python, LabVIEW, Matlab/Octave, Simulink.
- Textbook writing
Honorary member in NFEA (Norsk
forening for elektro og automatisering – Norwegian association of electrotechnology and automation), 2020
- Speed control of DC
motor for training. TechTeach. 2023.
- Temperature control
of kettle for training.
- Buffer tank rigs for training at University of
South-Eastern Norway. Article on nfea.no. The rigs are built
by bachelor students Olav Vangen and Cecilie D. Gløsmyr. Eight rigs are operative in 2023.
- Matematical model and a simulator with a model-based predictive
controller (MPC) and PI controller for the inflow system of the VEAS
wasterwater treatment plant in Slemmestad, Norway. 2016-.
- LabVIEW-based dynamic simulator and consultancy about control of
a hydraulic servo mechanism, Westcon AS, Norway. 2016.
- LabVIEW-based monitoring and control system for a biorefinery
plant at Bygdø Kongsgård (King’s Farm), Oslo. 2016-.
- Simulator with alternative control systems for a
heave-compensation system for a company in Norway. (Confidentiality
- Automatic test system in LabVIEW. Cody AS/ABB AS, Skien.
- Design and control of a test-rig for underwater lifting
operations. Force Technology AS and MicoMarine
- Measurement and control systems for three biogas reactors.
(LabVIEW.) Telemark University College. (Cooperation with Eivind
- Data acquisition and presentation system for powder pressure
system. (LabVIEW.) Telemark University College. (Cooperation with Eivind
- Air heater for training. Telemark University College. (Cooperation with Eivind Fjelddalen.)
- Measurement and control system for a multiphase experimental rig
(water, oil, air). (LabVIEW.) Norsk Hydro and Telemark University
program for a process trainer. (LabVIEW.) Telemark University College.
- Logging program for an explosion rig. (LabVIEW.) Telemark
University College. 2005.
- Consultancy (modeling, simulation and control). Ignis Photonyx,
- Modeling and simulation of a clutch servo system. Telemark
University College and Kongsberg Automotive. (Matlab/Simulink, and
of a temperature control system for a temperature calibrator.
(Matlab/Simulink.) TEFT-project for Instrutek AS, Larvik, Norway.
- Supervision and control system for an experimental biological
combustion rig. (LabVIEW.) Norwegian Agricultural University. 1999.
- Supervision and control system for an experimental rig for fish
research. (LabVIEW). Norwegian Agricultural University. 1999.
and control of a wood chip tank. (Matlab/Simulink.) Norske Skog,
Tofte, Norway. 1995.
in the Cristin database, also listed below.
- Wang, Yongjie; Haugen, Finn Aakre.
Subspace System Identification of a Pilot Tunnel System of a Combined
Sewage System. Modeling, Identification and Control 2023. 44 (2). 69-82.
- Wang, Yongjie; Haugen, Finn Aakre.
level control for urban drainage system. Linköping Electronic Conference
Proceedings. 185. 405-410.
- S. Attar and F. Haugen. (2020). Model-based optimal
recovery of methane production in an anaerobic digestion reactor. Modeling, Identification and Control, 40 (3).
- A. M. Nair, S. Gonzales, M. Blanca, F. Aa. Haugen, H. Ratnaweera, S. W. Østerhus. (2020). Real-time
monitoring of enhanced biological phosphorus removal in a multistage
EBPR-MBBR using a soft-sensor for phosphates. Journal of Water
Process Engineering. Volume37.
- P. Luca, J. S. Pettersen an F. Aa. Haugen. (2019). The true
purpose of controls models is insight; how the process modelling effort
helps VEAS WRRFs in Norway. To be presented at NORDIWA 2019.
- S. Attar and F. Haugen. (2019). Dynamic model
adaptation to an anaerobic digestion reactor of a water resource
recovery facility. Modeling, Identification and
Control, 40 (3).
- A M Nair, A Fanta, F Aa Haugen, H Ratnaweera. (2019).
Implementing an Extended Kalman Filter for estimating nutrient
composition in a Sequential Batch MBBR Pilot plant. Water Sci
Technol (2019), 80 (2): 317-328. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2166/wst.2019.272.
- L. Dewasmea, M. Sbarcioga, E. Rocha-Cózat, F. Haugen, A. Vande
Wouwer. (2019). State
and unknown input estimation of an anaerobic digestion reactor with
experimental validation. Control Engineering Practice, Vol 85, Pages
- L. Marcano, R. Sannerud, T. M. Komulainen, F. A. Haugen. (2019). Review
of simulator training practices for industrial operators: How can
individual simulator training be enabled?. Safety Science Vol 115,
- F. A. Haugen. (2018). Simulation of PI and MPC averaging level
control in a wastewater treatment plant. Presented at the SIMS 2018
conference, Oslo, 26 - 28. September 2018. Article
no. 153:042 in Linköping Electronic Conference Proceedings.
- S. Attar and F. A. Haugen. (2018). Comparison of different state
estimator algorithms applied to a simulated anaerobic digestion reactor.
Presented at the SIMS
2018 conference, Oslo, 26 - 28. September 2018. Article no.
153:017 in Linköping Electronic Conference Proceedings.
- S. Attar and F. A. Haugen. (2017). Simulation of a
model-based predictive control system to optimize the methane production
of a biogas reactor. Presented at Asian
Control Conference - ASCC 2017, Gold Coast, Australia.
- S. Attar, F. A. Haugen, K. R.
Jonassen, P. Luca. (2017). Simulation
of alternative temperature control structures of a biogas reactor in a
wastewater treatment plant. Presented at ICA2017, Quebec, Canada.
- F. A. Haugen (2017). MPC and PI control of the
level of the inlet basin of a wastewater treatment plant. Presented
at ICA2017, Quebec, Canada.
- F. A. Haugen. (2017). On
the aim of teaching, how to reach it - and an example. MNT-konferansen
2017, Oslo, Norway.
- L. Marcano, T. Komulainen, F. A. Haugen. (2017). Implementation
of performance indicators for automatic assessment. To be presented at ESCAPE27,
- T. M. Komulainen, A. Alcocer, and F. A. Haugen. (2016). Experiences
and Trends in Control Education - A HiOA/USN Perspective. Eurosims,
- F. Haugen, R. Bakke, B. Lie, K.
Vasdal and J. Hovland. (2015). Optimal
Design and Operation of a UASB Reactor for Dairy Cattle Manure.
Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, pp. 203-213, doi:10.1016/j.compag.2015.01.001.
- PhD dissertation: Optimal design,
operation and control of an anaerobic digestion reactor. Telemark
University College, Norway, 2014.
- F. Haugen, R. Bakke and B. Lie. (2014). State
Estimation and Model-based Control of a Pilot Anaerobic Digestion
Reactor. Journal of Control Science and Engineering, 14.
- F. Haugen and K. E. Wolden. (2013). A
revised view on teaching basic process control, presented at ACE2013 - the 10th IFAC
Symposium on Advances in Control Education, Sheffield University,
UK. Also available at http://www.ifac-papersonline.net.
- F. Haugen and B. Lie. (2013). On-off and PID
Control of Methane Gas Production of a Pilot Anaerobic Digestion Reactor.
Modeling, Identification and Control, 34 (3).
- F. Haugen, R. Bakke and B. Lie. (2013). Temperature
Control of a Pilot Anaerboic Digestion Reactor. Modeling,
Identification and Control, 34 (3).
- F. Haugen and B. Lie. Relaxed
Ziegler-Nichols closed loop tuning of PI controllers. (2013). Modeling, Identification and Control, 34 (2).
- F. Haugen, R. Bakke and B. Lie. (2013). Adapting dynamic
mathematical models to a pilot anaerobic digestion reactor, Modeling, Identification and Control, 34 (2).
- F. Haugen. (2012). The Good Gain
method for simple experimental tuning of PI controllers. Modeling,
Identication and Control, 33 (4).
- F. Haugen, R. Bakke and B. Lie. (2012). State
estimation of a pilot anaerobic digestion reactor. Nordic Process Control Workshop,
- F. Haugen. Comparing PI
Tuning Methods in a Real Benchmark Temperature Control System.
(2010). Modeling, Identification and Control,
- F. Haugen, W. Bergland, R. Bakke
and B. Lie. (2010). Hydrogen Control of an Experimental
Anaerobic Biogas Reactor. Third
International Symposium on Energy from Biomass and Waste, Venice, Nov.
- F. Haugen. Control of a
Buoyancy-Based Pilot Underwater Lifting Body. (2010). Modeling, Identification and Control, 31 (2).
- R. Dunia, T. Edgar and F. Haugen. (2008). A Complete Programming
Framework for Process Control Education. 2nd
IEEE Multi-conference on Systems and Control (MSC), San Antonio, Texas
- F. Haugen, E. Fjelddalen T. Edgar
and R. Dunia. (2007). Demonstrating
PID Control Principles using an Air Heater and LabVIEW. CACHE News (Computer Aids for Chemical
- Modeling, Simulation and Control. Aug. 2023. TechTeach. E-book
freely available for students in my courses.
- Python for realfag.
- Introduction to the Python Control
- Python Simply. 2019.
bind 2, 2014. Fagbokforlaget.
- Basic Dynamics and Control. Exercises with solutions. TechTeach,
- Advanced Dynamics and Control. Exercises with solutions.
- Lær MATLAB trinn for trinn (in Norwegian), Tapir Academic
- Lær SIMULINK trinn for trinn (in Norwegian), Tapir Academic
- Dynamiske systemer - textbook and excercise book (in Norwegian),
Tapir Academic Publisher, 2003.
- Praktisk reguleringsteknikk - textbook and excercise book (in
Norwegian), Tapir Academic Publisher, 2003
- Websideutvikling med HTML og CSS, (in Norwegian) Tapir Academic
Tapir Academic Publisher, 2003.
- Regulering av dynamiske systemer, bind 2 - textbook
book (in Norwegian), Tapir Acedemic Publisher, 1996.
- Regulering av dynamiske systemer, bind 1 - textbook
book (in Norwegian), Tapir Acedemic Publisher, 1994.
- Anvendt reguleringsteknikk - textbook
book (in Norwegian), Tapir Acedemic Publisher, 1990.
- eblogg.usn.no: Tid for simulering og
digitale tvillinger. May, 2020.
- Video tutorial: Min
digitavle. Contribution to
the eDU-blog about e-learning at USN. April 2020.
with industrial applications in the course Programmering og modellering, presentation at the CCSE seminar Implementing Scientific
Programming in the Norwegian Curriculum at UiO seminar 27. February 2019.
of the online master programme and the industry master programme in
Industrial IT and Automation at the UHR-MNT meeting at USN,
Kongsberg campus, 1. November 2018.
- Lecture about control concepts at Skala’s
user forum for automation personell the dairy industry, Lillehammer,
Models for Simulation, Control and Testing.
Presentation on Nordic Forum for Operations and Maintainance in Wastewater
Treatment Plants (nordisk drifts- og vedlikeholdsforum for renseanlegg),
Oslo Fjord Museum, 14th - 15th September 2017.
analyzer on a biogas reactor at VEAS.
Driftsforum Biogass, Sola, Norway, 2016.
of Biogas Reactors. Servomøtet, Trondhem, Norway, 2015.
to LabVIEW Control Design, System Identification and Simulation Tools.
Presentation at NI Days, Drammen, Norway, 2005.
- Second opponent of Fabrice
Abunde Neba’s PhD dissertation at Norwegian University of Science
and Technology (NTNU), 23rd June 2020.
- Adminstrator of a PhD candidate assessment committee at
University of South-Eastern Norway, 2016.
- Adminstrator and opponent of a PhD candidate assessment committee
at University of South-Eastern Norway, 2014.
- External member of the evaluation committee of the bachelor
programme in Automation and Electronics Design at University of
- Initiator of formal cooperation agreement between USN and VEAS
(water resource recovery facility), 2019
- One of USN’s
representatives in Center for Computation in Science Education (CCSE) hosted by University of Oslo (2018-)
of Erasmus visit by Franky de Bruyne, ECAM Brussel Engineering School,
6-9. March 2018
- Programme coordinator of online master programmes in Energy
and Environmental Technology, Industrial
IT and Automation, and Process
Technology, 2014 – 2019. Example: Progamme
of the startup gathering on campus Porsgrunn August 2018.
- Member of the joint
Research Ethics Committee of USN and HINN, 2017-
- Initiator and member of organizing committee of Technological Forum
- Visit at the University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, 2010 and 2012. Travel report 2010.
- Presentation of master programmes in technology at Telemark
University College (Høgskolen i Telemark) for students at four
universities in Wuhan, China, 2007. Travel report.
- Author of the report Guidelines
for Examinators from Industry
for the National Organization of the Process Industry
(Prosessindustriens landsforening - PIL), 1999.
- Head of the project Information
Technology and Primary Activities, Telemark
University College (Høgskolen i Telemark), 1998.
- Initiator of
educational seminar «Utdanningsseminar innen automatisering/kybernetikk»
arranged ny Norwegian Organization of Automatic Control (Norsk Forening
for Automatisering), University College of Oslo (Høgskolen i Oslo),
- Initiator of Servomøtet'96
(Kybernetikkdagene) arranged at Telemark University College, 1996.
- Reviewer of several scientific articles for journals and
conferences, not listed here due to requirement of anonymity.
- Member of several assessment committees for academic positions
(NTNU, OsloMet, University of Stavanger, University College of
Buskerud), not listed here due to requirement of anonymity.
ECAM Brussels Engineering School, Belgium, 2018 -
China Agricultural University, China, 2015 -
University of Mons, Belgium, 2014 -
University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, 2010 -
of various kinds: teaching; examination):
o Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
o Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU)
o Oslo Metropolitan University (OsloMet)
o University of Stavanger (UiS)
o University of Agder (UiA)
o The Arctic University of Norway/University of Tromsø (UiT)
high schools (videregående skoler): Bamble vgs, Porsgrunn
vgs og Skien vgs:
o Several short courses about
practical application of programming in LabVIEW and Python for measurement
and control of physical systems.
in research project funding applications:
SFI-WIN (Center of
Research-based Innovation - Water Infrastructure), 2019: Suggested activities
within model-based control on behalf of University of South-Eastern Norway
(SFI-WIN concortium member). As of April 2019, the SFI-WIN proposal has been
submitted to the Norwegian Reseearch Council (Norges forskningsråd).
EU Horizon 2020, Industry
2020 in the Circular Economy: Next generation of Smart WATER systems and
services (SWATER), 2017: Representing University of South-Eastern Norway with
proposed research activities in the application.
Strategic research project
for research (strategisk høgskoleprosjekt - SHP), Telemark University College
(Høgskolen i Telemark), 2014: Member of the academic staff writing the
of PhD students:
o Yongjie Wang (startup in
September). PhD research project: Model-based
control of urban drainage systems, 2019 -.
o Shadi Attar. PhD research
project: Model-based monitoring and control of biogas reactors in wastewater
treatment plants, 2016 -.
o Ludmila Vesjolaja, USN. PhD
research project: Dynamics and control of efficient fertilizer processes,
o Abhilash Nair, NMBU. PhD
research project: Enhancing resource recovery through better surveillance and
process control, 2018-2020. Dissertation in September 2020.
o Laura Marcano, OsloMet with
USN as degree-providing institution. PhD research project: Process simulation
and learning technologies, 2016-2019. Dissertation in September 2019.
for university students (most recent courses):
for industrial and educational personnel:
A large number of courses lasting typically 2 days about automatic
control for engineers and practicioners. Both physical courses (on site) and
online courses. 1990 -
Updated 29 September 2023 by Finn Aakre Haugen